Tips to help you reduce your energy bills
If you read and follow these tips you will see a difference in your central heating bills…
1. Modernize your heating controls
- Modern heating controls are a lot more accurate.
- Controls should be changed if they are over 15 years old.
2. Making the most from your thermostat
- Lower the heating in rooms you don’t often use or that are empty
- Set the thermostat at around 17 degrees and turn it up when necessary.
- Do not cover or obstruct thermostats as this can give an false reading.
- Think about installing a ‘Smart’ thermostat, this will allow you to keep a eye on your central heating cost
3. Timer or programme your central heating
- Time your heating to when you need it coming on and off.
- Some programmers you can set to different temperatures for certain times of the day.
4. Set radiator valves low
- Thermostatic radiator valves should be set and then gradually turned up once the desired heat is reached.
- Turning your thermostatic radiator valves to a maximum setting will not heat your room up any faster …. that is dependent on your boiler and radiator size!
5. Improve your heating habits
- Take advantage of sunlight and warmth, open curtains.
- Close all doors and windows to keep heat in.
- Add layers of clothing if you are cold.
6. Low cost heating changes you can do
- Install draught proof doors.
- Seal draughty gaps around doors and windows.
- Insulate your hot water cylinder tank.
- Insulate your loft to the recommended amount.
7. Boiler and Servicing
- Have your central heating boiler serviced annually.
- Have your central heating system flushed and maintained on a regular basis