Logo

Dangers Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning From Barbecues

A recent survey by Gas Safe Register found that around 80% of people in the UK are unaware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas that can be deadly. It is produced when fuel is burned in an incomplete combustion. This can happen when a barbecue is not properly ventilated.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Loss of consciousness

If you experience any of these symptoms while using a barbecue, get away from the appliance immediately and call 999.

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, always follow these safety tips when using a barbecue:

  • Never use a barbecue indoors or in a tent or caravan.
  • Always place the barbecue in a well-ventilated area.
  • Do not use a barbecue if it is raining or windy.
  • Keep the barbecue clean and free of debris.
  • Have the barbecue serviced by a qualified professional every year.

By following these safety tips, you can help to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and enjoy your barbecue safely.

Tips to help you stay safe when using a barbecue:

  • Never leave a barbecue unattended.
  • Keep children and pets away from the barbecue.
  • Do not use alcohol or drugs while using a barbecue.
  • Be aware of the surroundings and make sure there is nothing flammable nearby.
  • If you are using a gas barbecue, make sure the tank is properly connected and that there are no leaks.
  • If you are using a charcoal barbecue, make sure the coals are completely extinguished before disposing of them.

By following these safety tips, you can help to prevent barbecue accidents and injuries.

It’s important to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues, and to take steps to prevent it. By following the safety tips above, you can help to keep yourself and your family safe.

Tips to help you stay safe when using gas appliances:

  • Never leave a gas appliance unattended.
  • Keep children and pets away from gas appliances.
  • Do not use alcohol or drugs while using gas appliances.
  • Be aware of the surroundings and make sure there is nothing flammable nearby.
  • If you are using a gas cooker, make sure the pilot light is lit before using it.
  • If you are using a gas fire, make sure the damper is closed when you are not using it.
  • If you smell gas, immediately turn off the gas supply to the appliance and ventilate the area.
  • Do not use matches or lighters to light a gas appliance.¬†Instead, use the appliance’s ignition switch.

By following these safety tips, you can help to prevent gas accidents and injuries.

 

Related Articles

 

Scroll to Top